Monday, August 24, 2009

Not The Chantays

Found this video while searching for something else on You-Tube.

That site is a time-sink; a black hole for computer time; a look-at-me-and-regret-it site.

Anyway, Dick Dale and Stevie Ray Vaughn really cook. Not sure what's up with Dick Dale's hair, but it was the '80s.

I grew up in suburban L.A. and Dick Dale was the surf music god. Never mind the Beach Boys, Chantays, Jan and Dean. I, personally, introduced my high school to "Miserlou." We had a jukebox in the cafeteria and first one in got first choice. Whenever I was first I played the flip-side of "Let's Go Trippin'": "Miserlou" I was always asked "what the hell is that, it's bitchin'." (Yeah, we talked like that in '63). I had a Dick Dale LP, also, but it got lost in one of our many moves.

My friends used to go to Harmony Park Ballroom to hear him and to dance. At that time I got my drivers' license and went to concerts with future Ms. BRB. We saw Ray Charles at the Shrine, and Peter, Paul and Mary at the Hollywood Bowl. I had many interests at the time, and not much money.

But Dick Dale still has my attention whenever he shows up.

BRB is Write(Surf's Up, Dudes!)


2 Comments:

Blogger NotClauswitz said...

Pipeline is teh Awesomz!

12:47:00 PM  
Blogger brbiswrite said...

Thanks for dropping by.

Grew up with Dick Dale all over the radio in So. Cal. I play this at least once a month!

BRB

6:24:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home