Friday, October 13, 2006

Be a Coward or Be a Man

First, read PDB's post on this subject, and the comments. I'm not sure if the issue is be a man or be a coward. I think it's more like do what you can with what you have at the time.

Anyway, long ago, in a country far away the BRB family was returning home from a day with friends. All five of us were crammed into a 2-door Volvo about 15 years old. The youngest was 2 and the other offspring in elementary school.

We were just entering the residential areas, down a long hill. I could see up a side street on the right several houses. In front of the second house I saw a women bolt from a Camero chased by two men. As we passed the intersection all three were throwing punches and kicks; the woman was getting the worst.

That was the situation. What does a man do? At the time, I was in stature Mr. Average, 5'10" and 160 lbs. Even the woman was larger. I had my whole family with me.

Here's what happened. I stopped the car just past the intersection and started to run to the fight. I hadn't a clue what I would do when I got there, and all sorts of bad things flashed past my mind. But I shouted and tried to distract the men and attract attention to the fight. They probably laughed at super-hero approaching them. At the same time, an EMS vehicle pulled up. In Canada they were called St. John's EMS and hired big, hulking drivers and attendants. They took over the situation. The men fled, and St. John's guys took care of the woman. I walked back to my family and tried to keep from hyper-ventilating.

That was the last time I faced anything calling for more courage than confronting everyday problems like tailgaters and cranky bosses. In PDB's blog, he has a plan; commentors have plans; others get paid to react properly. I cannot comment on that. I think we just do what we need to do given the circumstances and our abilities. I would fight to defend my family. If I had to fight, I would fight to win, damn the consequences. If all I could do was to call 911, that's what I would do. But we don't know what we would do until we are confronted with the choice.

I have finally realized that it can be an evil world out there. Those of us safely enclosed in our protective enclaves may be confronted by that evil; I would not even predict how we would respond to physical threats.

One does what one does.

BRB is Write (Don't Tread on Me)

5 Comments:

Blogger Muslihoon said...

A very inspiring story. Thank you.

Everyone has principles, but what matters is which principles prevail when the time comes for actions and decisions.

And I bet this taught your kids a good lesson too.

3:00:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'll say it was inspiring! I was there and I don't even remember it! Although I was only 2 apparently. I was kind of wondering where I got that same attitude from. Being a school teacher I know that some lunatic roaming my school would have to carefully avoid me if he wanted to still have a face.

5:34:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oops! I forgot to say THANKS DAD!

5:35:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

One more word on the topic: Never, ever underestimate the ememy, evil one, opponent. Keep your eyes open and your guard up.

BRB is Write

7:03:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

for ememy read enemy!

7:05:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home