Thursday, June 08, 2006

Pinhead Business

I will never understand how businesses are run. I read PDB all the time, and I still don't know. I had three successful years in highschool with Junior Achievement (I still cannot spell achievement). I won awards, I won a scholarship (the amount will remain secret, but let us say, in today's money, it would pay for 1% of one credit hour at a private university, or dinner for two downtown if the wine does not have a pedigree).

But, some things I do know: Crisis management is NOT strategic planning. Communications means dialogue, not top-down pronouncements. Workers will take ownership of their jobs. Training for like jobs must be consistent. Tension among managers has to be resolved by upper management, not by fights on the shop floor.

But most of all, don't let academics, professors, pinheads start and run a business. It ain't gonna work. I need to tread lightly here, 'cause I've signed so many confidentiality agreements, I've lost count. Just let me say that I work for a Major University, with a Major Medical School and a Major Athletic Department. I depend on these folk for my job. I do what they tell me, and I expect them to get more business to keep all of us employed. I've held up my end of the bargain. Well, there ain't no more business. What now, pinheads?

They re-shuffle at the top, they fire the best supervisor they have, they turn over the running of the business to a steering committee. We still have no work. As PDB would say, there is no profit motive here, and that guts everything.

This job has meant a lot to me. It puts the family out of the paycheck-to-paycheck mill. We can do a bit more, and have some in reserve. (Dinner for two downtown, wine with a pedigree).

But it's time to move on. In the past, others have had to tell me it's time to go. I think I see that exit sign now, for myself.

More interviews, training new bosses, heavy sigh.

One last thought: Generally, I like professors and their kind, Some have had a great influence on me, but on my terms. I accepted their expertise and guidance and respected their credentials and the hard work that it took to get them. But, Mommas, don't let your professors be businessfolk.

You know I'm Write

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home