Thursday, March 06, 2008

Loose Ends And Some More Observations

I need to thank PDB for giving my post about SPN numbers a boost from his site. While I got only two comments, sitemeter tells me that most visitors left that posting by way of the site that explains the codes. This is what I wanted, and I owe him big-time for that. His readership is about one hundred times mine, and it seemed the best way to reach the most vets.

Since I last posted we have another grandson, Jackson. He has been a new and mighty influence on Casa del Bliss. New parents are almost as interesting as their new offspring. I don't much like other peoples' children: too many little darlings and absolute brats in the world. But my kids and their progeny are the absolute tops. As a Grandfather, I speak without any prejudice.

I have a volunteer package from the local VA Hospital in hand. It's almost like a job application, but I guess it has to be. This month is filling up, but this is something I have to do. I will keep the reader posted.

Some Observations:

Drivers here in the Great North State are getting worse, or I'm getting more observant or more easily annoyed. The NASCAR wannabes I'm getting used to: I'm not tailgating, I'm drafting; I'm not speeding, I'm qualifying, etc. We must be getting more Yankee drivers (NY, NJ, PA) who are just plain rude.

These drivers have several traits in common: a. They are oblivious to any of their surroundings. b. They have a divine right to make a left turn from the right lane or right from the left lane. c. If they miss an exit or an intersection they have no problem stopping traffic so that they can correct their error.

To these drivers I say: If you miss getting in the left lane to make your turn, go around the block. Our small downtown is laid out on a grid (see tic-tac-toe paper). Two lefts and one right get you going in the right direction. If you miss your exit on the freeway, go to the next one, and double back; don't make me brake and swerve to miss you as you cut across three lanes to make the exit. It is not your right to endanger me for your convenience.

Blogspot has seen fit to fix the spellchecker. I still have my dictionary at hand.

Right now I'm listening to some tracks from The Mercury Records Songbook 4CD box set. I don't have the the whole set, only the promotional sample 18 tracks. (one of the percs from working at a radio station; we got to dumpster-dive for unwanted cds.) This sampler has Jazz standards like "I Get a Kick Out of You" sung by Dinah Washington. Also on this disc are standards performed by Nina Simone, Shirley Horn, and Chet Baker, among others. I heard many of these performers and songs as a kid. I'm not sure how, but I was a radio geek. I'd leave the TV and go listen to my old tube set. It was amazing what am stations brought in after dark.

Instead of Observations I should have called it Ramblings. I'm done now.

BRB is Write (and loves the radio)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home